Skip to main content

Willow is opening doors

Willow has been opening doors.
Literally.
She's been closing doors for a while now, but on Wednesday, she waddled into the guest bedroom and shut the door behind her ... then she opened it.
I was going to retrieve her from the room, and I saw the handle on the door turn downward, and the door opened a crack, then a lot, as Willow peered out and smiled. I can't rightly say if her smile was mischievous or proud, but I fear it was mischievous.
She then closed the door. And opened it. Then closed it. And opened it. And so on. For a long, long time. See the video below.
Before long, she was closing and opening doors all over the house.
And on Thursday, she turned her newfound talent into lengthy practice sessions. Again at the guest bedroom door, she closed and opened it for minutes at a time before taking a break to play with a toy then returning to close and open and close and open. She did this for longer than an hour (I was fine with the closing and opening because it gave me a break from playing with her).
Yes, our little girl just continues to grow.
Here are other accomplishments:
  • She can walk and keep her balance on the big and teetering see-saw at Gymbo's.
  • She can rock herself in every rocker she comes across.
  • She's starting to use a spoon to feed herself, though not very efficiently.
  • She's napping less and less (luckily for me, she doesn't fight the naps with crying and such, but she'll just lie in her crib playing if she doesn't want to sleep).
  • She's now a master at crawling through tunnels, and she's starting to climb on things, like our couch and up steps and over pillows and such.
  • She can point at her nose, her ear, wipe her mouth, clean her tray, hand me things, point at Baby and point at Duckie, all on cue. She also points at her diaper when we announce we're going to change it.
  • Willow is very helpful. As noted, she likes to hand me things when I ask for them (or don't ask for them), and she likes to push things such as her highchair and her toys back into place at home and at Gymbo's (she's the only kiddo who does this there).
As the days fly by, I'm sure Willow will keep opening doors, literally and figuratively.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Summer zips on by

I guess it's official. This morning, we witnessed the kiddos hopping on school buses and heading to school. That marks the end of summer, I suppose, and the end of summer seems to come a little earlier every year (even though the actual warmness of the weather keeps creeping later and later; are we going to have winter this year, anyone?). Call me silly, but I like to think of the end of summer as that day on the calendar that falls in the middle of September, after my birthday (my birthday, Sept. 16, is in summer, but it has never, ever felt that way even though I know it's always hot on my birthday). This marks my 39th summer if you count that first one I was born during in 1974, and I'm sure many of them seemed really long or really short depending on how old I was. For me, it seemed like the summers of my childhood lasted FOREVER. Now it seems like they zip by. In a flash. Especially this one. It's been a busy one, filled with lots of travels, family visits and...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...