Skip to main content

Willow, the face and 'Willhemian Rhapsody'

As Willow grows (and those little teefers start filling her mouth), Che and I can't help but notice how she looks like this person or acts like that one, how she looks like a young Katee on this day and how she reminds of us toddler Bristol on that day.
At any given moment, she can look like Che or me or Gran or Mimi.
But there's one striking and quite specific trait that's standing out right now -- "the strong face," aka "the cold face." This is right out of cousin Rett's playbook.
A few years back, when Rett was a toddler and we were at Myrtle Beach with my side of the family, we had a grand time getting Rett to do the face. I'm not confidently sure, but I think my sister called it "the cold face." I called it "the strong face." She'd ask Rett to do it, and he'd tense up his arms in front of his body as if he were trying his darnedest to conjure up a spell, and he'd clench his teeth and shake a little. To me, he looked like a little He-man (or a constipated Gandalf).
We asked him to do the face over and over and got big kicks out of it.
Well, Willow does the exact. Same. Face. (I just spent several minutes trying to get her to do the face, but she's in no mood; nap time looms. But I'll try to get a pic up on Facebook as soon as I can).
I don't think Che likes Willow doing the face, because it really looks like it hurts (and we have a theory that Gran's recent neck problems stem from her doing the face in an effort to get Willow to do the face). But I think Willow likes doing it; if there's a lull in the day, she'll grit her teeth, tense up her spell-conjuring arms like a mad sorcerer and start her little shake. I can't help but laugh.
Willow and I have even made a little dance out of it, "The Willhemian Rhapsody."
I start singing, "I see a little Willow of girl, Scaramoushe, Scaramoushe, will you do the Fandango? Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very frightening!"
When she hears "thunderbolt" she starts doing the face as if she's Dr. Frankenstein bringing the Monster to life among thunderbolts and lightning.
Then instead of "Galileo! Galileo!," I sing, "bouncy-bouncy, bouncy-bouncy," and she starts bouncing up and down.
She does other dances, but this is my favorite. Che prefers the "Ring Around the Rosie" dance.
At any rate, this face ain't going anywhere, and I know Rett is going to have a blast conjuring up the face with Willow on our vacation next week.
And I'm sure I'll have Willow dancing the entire "Willhemian Rhapsody" by the time she turns 5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...

Willow's morning of play, play, play exhausts poor, old Dad

Willow's playtime universe continues to grow. Rapidly. Witness. In the midsummer heat, I take Willow out to our shaded backyard in the morning to play. And play she does. She climbed into her swing first. After I pushed her for a while, I got her out of the swing and put her in her wagon so she could help me convey bags of sand from the garage to the backyard to fill her sandbox (part of her new swing set) and her water table sandbox. She took rake and shovel and played in the sandbox for a bit. Then she waddled over to the deck and started to climb the steps to get to the water table. She played in the sand a bit, but most of her time was used dipping water up and out of the water part of the water table. Most the water ended up all over her. After that she wanted off the deck to go back to swinging. Instead I retrieved the new tricycle Cherish procured from a Franklin recycle center and cleaned it up. Willow loved the trike, holding on to the handle bars while I pushed her...