Skip to main content

Willow keeps stride with Daddy

Last fall, I wrote several times about taking Willow on long walks with me.
Depending on the weather (and it was warm throughout the fall and winter), she'd accompany me on walks in the neighborhood and at parks throughout the Midstate (and even went on a walk or two with me at a nearby mall).
She seemed to enjoy the walks and never complained or fussed. She liked seeing the dogs and the ducks and the kids, I think. Sometimes she fell asleep in the stroller (those made for especially long walks for me).
As time passed, I walked farther and faster, and Willow was there every step of the way.
In March, I graduated into running, and I've been Forrest Gump ever since. Even though I was getting better at running (and enjoying it more and more), I think I lost a simple pleasure of these outdoor jaunts: I had stopped taking Willow with me.
I was waking early in the day, sometimes as early as 5:20 a.m., so I could go running "unencumbered" by Willow. I have to admit that the quiet time suited me, but I was awfully tired during the day, so I tried (and rediscovered) taking Willow on my treks.
These jogging strolls are magical, for me and for Willow. I get to explore the area's roads and trails with probably the person I love more than any other in the world (of course I love all the moms in my life, but I'm sorry, ladies, Willow really has my heart). And Willow gets to see her dogs and ducks and kids and butterflies and birds and turtles. She also likes watching the world whirl by under her wheels.
She's not the same kid she used to be, though. Last fall, she couldn't walk or crawl, so the stroller didn't bother her much. Now she's an active little, get-into-anything toddler. She wants to run and climb and fall and giggle and roll. In other words, she can be quite a wriggle-worm in that stroller seat. And I know one day she won't want in that seat at all (unless another kid or little sister is in it).
I also know it's going to get cold in that seat, especially with me running along, head-on into a stiff winter breeze.
But I'm going to enjoy these strolls as long as I can. I'm going to enjoy the fallen leaves crunch under my feet and under Willow's wheels.
Maybe this will grow to be "one of our things." Maybe one day she'll go on runs with me. Or ride a bike along my strides.
That's one of the great things in life, isn't it? Not knowing where we're heading but knowing we'll find some magic, no matter how simple, along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Summer zips on by

I guess it's official. This morning, we witnessed the kiddos hopping on school buses and heading to school. That marks the end of summer, I suppose, and the end of summer seems to come a little earlier every year (even though the actual warmness of the weather keeps creeping later and later; are we going to have winter this year, anyone?). Call me silly, but I like to think of the end of summer as that day on the calendar that falls in the middle of September, after my birthday (my birthday, Sept. 16, is in summer, but it has never, ever felt that way even though I know it's always hot on my birthday). This marks my 39th summer if you count that first one I was born during in 1974, and I'm sure many of them seemed really long or really short depending on how old I was. For me, it seemed like the summers of my childhood lasted FOREVER. Now it seems like they zip by. In a flash. Especially this one. It's been a busy one, filled with lots of travels, family visits and...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...