Skip to main content

What's my biggest surprise?

I while back, when I had just a few months service as a stay-at-home dad, somebody asked me what had been the biggest surprise.
"The bottles," I said. "Good God, the bottles!"
You see, back then, I thought I spent half the day in the kitchen preparing and washing and preparing bottles for Willow.
The bottles are nicely tucked away in a plastic box in the attic. They've been up there a while, actually, but my answer to the same question isn't all that different.
The busy has relocated, that's all.
Willow turns 18 months tomorrow, and to me, she and I are as busy as ever. Actually, it seems to me every day has been busier than the previous since the day she was born, or at least since she was a week old (that first week is brutal).
Let me share a few topics of busy with you.

Dishes

These things never stop coming. I feel like I'm hand-washing dishes at a Golden Corral ... AND I'M USING AN ELECTRIC DISHWASHER!
I have no memory of how we did dishes before Willow came along; I suspect the house elf did them. As I've noted before, that house elf is GONE!

Laundry

I spend most my Mondays and Thursdays doing laundry. This takes a long time to do, especially considering I have an 18-month-old separating my separated laundry, putting newly dried clothes back into the washer and unpacking clothes from the drawers where I just put them.
But she loves this stuff, so I keep letting her slow me down.
Again, the house elf who did our laundry before has disappeared.

House

I keep the house as tidy as I can. That's all I'm going to say about that. Damn house elf.

Meals, kitchen

I prepare supper during the work week. This isn't so hard, mainly because I don't create gourmet meals; I heat and serve mostly. The problem is supper comes at the end of the day and needs to be ready for my reinforcements (Mommy). I ... am ... tired at the end of the day (and so are my reinforcements, God bless her).

Keeping Willow alive

This is the biggest task of all.
In summary, Willow gets into and climbs onto EVERYTHING. ALL. OF. THE. TIME. If I did get a break from the tasks listed above, I never get a break from chasing around my young one.
Specifically, if I take a long blink, I might lose track of Willow, and she might be dipping her toes into the toilet water.
But let me delve deeper into the notion of keeping her alive. Being alive is also the act of living, of having fun and learning.
I not only have to keep Willow breathing, I have to keep her entertained and exploring. I have to play with her and teach her.
She needs to breathe every living second, and she needs to be engage every waking moment.
Fun, true, but also exhausting.

This is just a glimpse, folks. There's also the stuff like fighting with her to brush her teeth as if I were a CIA agent trying to break a reluctant informant or wrestling with her to change her diaper as if she were a 600-pound sumo guy who did not want to relinquish his space. Remember this day if you think I'm exaggerating. I'm not.
So what in the world was I expecting, you might ask. I laugh at this now (and my wife does too), but I really expected to be bored. I expected long periods of, well, nothing happening. I expected lots of naps, and I expected lots of sitting around watching Willow play.
Nope.
This job is 100 percent interactive, whether I like it or not.
And you know what, I kind of like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Summer zips on by

I guess it's official. This morning, we witnessed the kiddos hopping on school buses and heading to school. That marks the end of summer, I suppose, and the end of summer seems to come a little earlier every year (even though the actual warmness of the weather keeps creeping later and later; are we going to have winter this year, anyone?). Call me silly, but I like to think of the end of summer as that day on the calendar that falls in the middle of September, after my birthday (my birthday, Sept. 16, is in summer, but it has never, ever felt that way even though I know it's always hot on my birthday). This marks my 39th summer if you count that first one I was born during in 1974, and I'm sure many of them seemed really long or really short depending on how old I was. For me, it seemed like the summers of my childhood lasted FOREVER. Now it seems like they zip by. In a flash. Especially this one. It's been a busy one, filled with lots of travels, family visits and...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...