Skip to main content

I won't, for a minute, think Willow's clinging is a problem

Lately, I've been having problems with Willow clinging to me, not wanting to be left at the YMCA's Y-Play child care area while I work out.
Today she was a little clingy, but not too bad, just a few whimpers, then she was off.
No, today's problem was getting her the heck out of there when I was showered and ready to go home. I was patient, though, and went under the stairs with her to chat with her, play with her and reason with her that she wanted to go home too.
That's where I met her new friend, a 4-year-old boy, who was graciously sharing a parking-garage thingy with my 18-month-old. Willow loved this boy. Loved him. She chortled every time he spoke, and I mean that, CHORTLED, no little giggle here; she'd throw back her head and bellow out happy snorts, just like her mommy. From what I could tell, the boy only tolerated Willow, but he did a good job at it, complimenting her when she pushed Matchbox cars up the ramp, for example.
I had a mission, so I got to it.
"Willow, I'm going home; do you want to go with me?"
I said several other things like that, but Willow wasn't budging; she wanted to play with this great, great boy.
The boy started helping me: "Willow, your daddy is here. You need to go home with your daddy."
Willow wasn't having any of it, but I thanked the boy for his help.
"My daddy is on a ship," the boy said.
"On a ship?"
"Yeah, he's on a ship in the water; he's out on the water," the boy said.
"Is he a sailor?"
"Yes. I don't see him very much."
At this point, I should have said something like, "I'm sure you're very proud of your daddy," or something like that. But I didn't. I let the dialogue lapse.
The boy redoubled his efforts on Willow: "Willow, your better go with your daddy."
Willow started coming with me out from under the stairs, but I stopped her.
"Can you give him a hug first?"
She stepped over to him and wrapped her arms around him and placed her head on his left shoulder. She stayed there a long time. The boy was trying to pull away, so I stepped in and grabbed Willow's hand.
"Let's go, Willow. Let's go home."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Summer zips on by

I guess it's official. This morning, we witnessed the kiddos hopping on school buses and heading to school. That marks the end of summer, I suppose, and the end of summer seems to come a little earlier every year (even though the actual warmness of the weather keeps creeping later and later; are we going to have winter this year, anyone?). Call me silly, but I like to think of the end of summer as that day on the calendar that falls in the middle of September, after my birthday (my birthday, Sept. 16, is in summer, but it has never, ever felt that way even though I know it's always hot on my birthday). This marks my 39th summer if you count that first one I was born during in 1974, and I'm sure many of them seemed really long or really short depending on how old I was. For me, it seemed like the summers of my childhood lasted FOREVER. Now it seems like they zip by. In a flash. Especially this one. It's been a busy one, filled with lots of travels, family visits and...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...