Skip to main content

Kith and kin

"Kith and kin."
I didn't know what that meant until watching a recent "Jeopardy" then reading the same phrase in one of my knights and dragons books a few days later.
I know the phrase now, and I know another way of saying it: "friends and family."
And even if I hadn't known the phrase before, I'm quite aware the concept had taken deep root in my and Che's lives when Willow arrived.
Kith and kin was well rooted in our lives before Willow's birth, but her life has brought the importance of friends and family into better perspective for me. I can't speak for Che, but I'm pretty sure the kith-and-kin focus has sharpened for her too.
We want Willow to have a strong foundation set in friends and family, and we've put extra effort into keeping those ties as strong as we have power to. A large part of that effort was our decision to have a stay-at-home parent, and we thank God every day that we were able to make that change in our life.
Willow is healthy and happy, and she's becoming more expressive. That's helped us see in her that kith and kin have a high priority in her life.
Che, Willow and I visited Henderson this past weekend to attend Mo's surprise birthday party and for the Ross family Christmas party. Seeing family was well worth the trip, of course, but Willow's obvious glee was the icing on the cake.
And during the holidays, we hope Willow will continue to add to her glee.
Next we travel back to Henderson for the Matthews family Christmas gatherings. After that, we're traveling to the Green family Christmas party before returning to host my family for Christmas. Somewhere in there, I'm attending one of my family's biggest milestone moments, the graduate ceremony celebrating my sister's hard-earned doctorate degree.
This is important stuff. Friends and family. Homes and hometowns. Connected lives.
Kith and kin.
And we want Willow to live as much of it as she can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...

Willow's morning of play, play, play exhausts poor, old Dad

Willow's playtime universe continues to grow. Rapidly. Witness. In the midsummer heat, I take Willow out to our shaded backyard in the morning to play. And play she does. She climbed into her swing first. After I pushed her for a while, I got her out of the swing and put her in her wagon so she could help me convey bags of sand from the garage to the backyard to fill her sandbox (part of her new swing set) and her water table sandbox. She took rake and shovel and played in the sandbox for a bit. Then she waddled over to the deck and started to climb the steps to get to the water table. She played in the sand a bit, but most of her time was used dipping water up and out of the water part of the water table. Most the water ended up all over her. After that she wanted off the deck to go back to swinging. Instead I retrieved the new tricycle Cherish procured from a Franklin recycle center and cleaned it up. Willow loved the trike, holding on to the handle bars while I pushed her...