Skip to main content

Willow's naptime adventures

Willow is almost 7 months old. Most babies at that age have a morning nap and an afternoon nap.
Cherish and I know most babies have settled into two naps by now. We've read it in books. We've read it online. Our doctor has told us.
Willow does not get two naps.
Up to last weekend, she was getting four a day, a 20-minute nap at 8 a.m., a 40-minute nap at 11:30 a.m., a 40-minute nap at 3 p.m. and a 20-minute nap around 6:30 p.m. As you can see, she had a nap regimen. She usually slept for these lengths, but sometimes she'd clock a 1-hour nap, and occassionally she'd settle in for two or three hours.
Willow's doctor told us this nap routine was fine, but she wondered how OUR schedules were holding up to it. I'm staying home, so I adapt reasonably enough. Cherish and I also have read that although most babies have settled into two naps at this point, it's normal for a few babies to be frequent catnappers, just like Willow.
Cherish and I haven't sweated the napping, nor do we expect you to sweat it. Willow is happy and healthy, and she sleeps wonderfully peaceful at night.
But I wondered if that 8 a.m. nap was needed, so I started an experiment this week: I took that nap away from Willow.
And she hasn't missed it. She's even had two-nap days two days in a row, usually at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. On top of that, her nighttime sleeping has even improved.
I'm not going to give her back that 8 a.m. nap, and we'll see where the rest of the day goes.
I suspect she'll have three naps on most days, but who knows, maybe she'll become that two-a-day baby those baby books seem to crave.
I'm leaving it up to her, for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Summer zips on by

I guess it's official. This morning, we witnessed the kiddos hopping on school buses and heading to school. That marks the end of summer, I suppose, and the end of summer seems to come a little earlier every year (even though the actual warmness of the weather keeps creeping later and later; are we going to have winter this year, anyone?). Call me silly, but I like to think of the end of summer as that day on the calendar that falls in the middle of September, after my birthday (my birthday, Sept. 16, is in summer, but it has never, ever felt that way even though I know it's always hot on my birthday). This marks my 39th summer if you count that first one I was born during in 1974, and I'm sure many of them seemed really long or really short depending on how old I was. For me, it seemed like the summers of my childhood lasted FOREVER. Now it seems like they zip by. In a flash. Especially this one. It's been a busy one, filled with lots of travels, family visits and...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...