Skip to main content

My favorite moment as a new dad

As a stay-at-home dad, I fully acknowledge I have the best job in the world, but the best moments don't come during the week while I'm working hard.
The best moments come during the weekends, when the whole family, Mommy, Willow and me, are home. I love the meals together, playing together and the trips to the park (I hope there will be more of those as the weather warms).
But my favorite moments happen when Cherish and Willow don't know they're happening, when Mommy and daughter sneak off to take a nap together. I join them for a family nap sometimes, but mostly I take their nap times for some Daddy time (and I realize these are special moments for Cherish and Willow; the weekends are for them, I get the weekdays).
These naps aren't my favorite moments because I get alone time (though I do cherish that). They're my favorite times of the week because I sneak in during the nap and I look down on my wife and daughter. This is magical.
Usually, Cherish is lying on her side holding Willow close to her. Willow has some of my features, but when she's napping with Cherish, the features from Mommy are easy to see. Their hair color, a red-tinged light brown, is the same. They have the same pale (and flawless) skin. The same nose. Mouth. Che and Mini-Che.
But what really grabs my heart is the peacefulness of the moment. This is the epitome of peace (even with the soft snoring of Mommy and the slightly louder snoring of daughter).
Willow is secure, warm. Cherish is happy.
I'm in there only for a moment, but the moment is big. The moment warms me, calms me. The moment raises a smile on my face and sometimes brings a happy tear to my eye. I am, we are, secure.
This is life for me, and life is good.
I have found my happiness, and I know that even if the moment is fleeting, the happiness isn't.
It will be with me forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...

Willow's morning of play, play, play exhausts poor, old Dad

Willow's playtime universe continues to grow. Rapidly. Witness. In the midsummer heat, I take Willow out to our shaded backyard in the morning to play. And play she does. She climbed into her swing first. After I pushed her for a while, I got her out of the swing and put her in her wagon so she could help me convey bags of sand from the garage to the backyard to fill her sandbox (part of her new swing set) and her water table sandbox. She took rake and shovel and played in the sandbox for a bit. Then she waddled over to the deck and started to climb the steps to get to the water table. She played in the sand a bit, but most of her time was used dipping water up and out of the water part of the water table. Most the water ended up all over her. After that she wanted off the deck to go back to swinging. Instead I retrieved the new tricycle Cherish procured from a Franklin recycle center and cleaned it up. Willow loved the trike, holding on to the handle bars while I pushed her...