Skip to main content

The miracle my angel gave to me

For the first time in the Willow-Cherish-Brian household, somebody caught a cold.
And it wasn't the little one.
I first noticed the cold overcoming me on Monday. That's when I knew it was a real cold. I had problems sniffling and sneezing Saturday and Sunday nights, but I attributed those to allergies, which all allergy sufferers do, even if they have bronchitis ("Bronchitis? Nah, it's just allergies ... HACKHACKHACKHACK!!!").
As with most colds (for me anyway), once I noticed it was coming, it really bull-rushed me, pummeling over me and knocking me to the floor, where I seemingly stayed plastered for the better part of two days.
The cold, really, was quite minor. It's Wednesday afternoon, and I'm practically recovered, just enduring an odd cough here and there.
And as far as I can tell, Willow hasn't caught the cold. At least she's showing no symptoms yet. Neither is Cherish. So here's hoping that cold has exited the household for good.
But let me tell you something.
As Willow is getting more and more mobile, and as it's getting harder and harder for me to keep pace with her, this cold, as minor as it was, had me floored.
Sometimes literally.
Tuesday afternoon, after I had cleaned up after Willow for the 376th time that day, I lay on the floor on my aching, aching back, staring at the ceiling, trying to catch my breath ... or at least trying to find my breath (I swear it left me there for a while).
Willow has her monster moments (such as when she does that thing you don't want her to do over and over and over and over and over again), and she has her angel moments (thank God they outnumber the monster moments).
As I lay on the floor in the living room, fighting to breathe and trying to calm my swimming head, Willow stepped over me and blanketed me with an angel moment.
She lowered to her knees, patted my stomach a few times then rested her cheek on my chest while still patting my stomach.
It's as if she were saying, "There, there, Daddy, everything is going to be OK."
In that moment, I realized the worst had passed. My cold was defeated. The energy the cold had sapped from me was returning, easing back into my tired muscles.
My angel was lifting me.
And here I sit, uplifted, relaying to you the minor miracle that helped fend off my minor cold.
And if that cold should find a way into my little girl's body, I have to find the angel in me to help lift her through the troubling days ahead, just as she helped me, the best that she could.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...

Summer zips on by

I guess it's official. This morning, we witnessed the kiddos hopping on school buses and heading to school. That marks the end of summer, I suppose, and the end of summer seems to come a little earlier every year (even though the actual warmness of the weather keeps creeping later and later; are we going to have winter this year, anyone?). Call me silly, but I like to think of the end of summer as that day on the calendar that falls in the middle of September, after my birthday (my birthday, Sept. 16, is in summer, but it has never, ever felt that way even though I know it's always hot on my birthday). This marks my 39th summer if you count that first one I was born during in 1974, and I'm sure many of them seemed really long or really short depending on how old I was. For me, it seemed like the summers of my childhood lasted FOREVER. Now it seems like they zip by. In a flash. Especially this one. It's been a busy one, filled with lots of travels, family visits and...