Skip to main content

What I've learned from my daughter

My daughter turns 1 today.
She's been in my life for a year, and as I've shared with many of you already, this has been the best year of my life (just ahead of the five years of marriage I've shared with my wife, she likes to remind me, and the 37 years of life I owe to my angel mother; I can never forget the women in my life because they have forged who I am and who I will be).
And in the year I've been graced with Willow, I've learned a tremendous amount from my daughter.
Without Willow I wouldn't know:
  • That I should light up with joy whenever I see a dog or horse or bird. Such creatures are a marvel, and I owe them my good mood and admiration.
  • That I should point at something and tell others to look.
  • That I should shake with excitement when I see something that excites me. This is worth celebrating, folks.
  • That I should celebrate my happiness with the world.
  • That I should rejoice when a stranger approaches me (especially an ugly old man) because everyone deserves my smile and my time. And I deserve theirs.
  • That I should wake up with a smile.
  • That I should enjoy the time I have to play because play time is fleeting. Not enough of us play enough. Besides, playing strengthens the soul.
  • That I should play because how else can I explore.
  • That I should play because how else can I learn.
  • That I should pursue every chance to explore and to learn.
  • That I should find the pleasure in the simple things (banging on a pot CAN be fun just as sitting under a tree in a green meadow can open up the world to you).
  • That I should see the entertainment that's in the world around me, and that I am a part of that.
  • That I should accept that it's OK to concentrate on the things I like.
  • That I should take a nap when I can because naps rejuvenate the soul and brighten your day.
  • That I should laugh often and heartily because laughs make the world a happier place.
  • That I can never have enough kisses. They give you a spark of energy and happiness.
  • That I can never have enough hugs. They calm your fretfulness and worry.
  • That sometimes I need to cry over spilled milk (then promptly accept a hug).
  • That sometimes I should not cry over spilled milk because messes aren't worth the stress (and sometimes they can be downright fun).
  • That I should pace myself.
  • That I should expect to fall sometimes and be ready for it and ready to dust off.
  • That I won't be ready for falls all the time, so I'll need my friends and family to help me up.
  • That I should cherish my time with friends and family because I owe them the love they give to me, and I owe them my happiness.
  • That I am happy.
  • And lastly, that I cannot love Willow's mother too much. She is the angel who brought light to my world, and she brought Willow to my life, and to yours.
All this, and more, I've learned from my baby girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...

Summer zips on by

I guess it's official. This morning, we witnessed the kiddos hopping on school buses and heading to school. That marks the end of summer, I suppose, and the end of summer seems to come a little earlier every year (even though the actual warmness of the weather keeps creeping later and later; are we going to have winter this year, anyone?). Call me silly, but I like to think of the end of summer as that day on the calendar that falls in the middle of September, after my birthday (my birthday, Sept. 16, is in summer, but it has never, ever felt that way even though I know it's always hot on my birthday). This marks my 39th summer if you count that first one I was born during in 1974, and I'm sure many of them seemed really long or really short depending on how old I was. For me, it seemed like the summers of my childhood lasted FOREVER. Now it seems like they zip by. In a flash. Especially this one. It's been a busy one, filled with lots of travels, family visits and...