Skip to main content

A note for my wife

All along, I've said I have the plum job in our family.
I am a stay-at-home dad, which I know and many of you know is a tough job in its own right, but as long as I am a stay-at-home dad, I'll never say it's a tougher job than that of my wife, no matter what job she has.
And I know from experience she has a very tough job now; she's a low-level manager. That, my friends, is a tough, tough job to have. I won't go on and on about why being a low-level manager is hard, so here's a summary: You get crap from everyone below you in the chain of command, and you get crap from everyone above you on that same chain (and somehow all the crap that's not in the chain of command somehow finds its way to your desk). And if you find yourself in the predicament my wife is in, working 12-13 hours a day with more than two hours commute each day, that pile of crap is an awfully hard pile of crap to shovel through, especially with no compensation for the extra hours or the commute.
I'm not going to say my wife has the hardest job in the world or that her job is tougher than your job. All I can say for sure is that her job is harder than mine.
Even if I'm at the verge of tearing hair from head because my toddler daughter is having one of her daily really bad moments (she's getting to be quite the feisty toddler daughter), I can find a way, usually, to calm her down and even get her back into a playful mood. Then I get my reward: a smile or a laugh or even a hug and kiss from my toddler daughter. Even if nobody shows me any appreciation for the job I have, I'll have that, even if I go bald from hair-pulling.
Not so for my wife.
If her job brings her to tears because a boss crawls down her throat or one of her workers throws a toddler-inspired hissy fit, my wife can work her tail off to appease them, often to no avail. I can assure you no playful mood, no smile, no laugh or no hug and kiss will come from it.
And after such a day, all she has to come home to is a cranky husband and a sleeping child (she should come home to a happy husband and a playful child, don't you think?).
And so I've come to realize (or I've known all along) that I do have the easier job, and even though I have the plum job, I haven't been doing a vital part of it very well.
I have not offered my wife a warm enough shoulder or a patient enough ear. I haven't held her enough, or kissed her enough. And then there's this one thing that every husband must learn but it's the toughest thing for him to learn: shut up and listen, just shut up and listen.
And so to my wife I say, "Cherish, I will work harder to give you a warm shoulder and a patient ear. I will shut up and listen."
I'm old enough to know I can't make a promise such as this and make it happen overnight, but I'll try to do the best I can for my wife.
I will try.
My best.
For my hard-working wife.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With baby comes packing (and a lot of it)

Willow, Che and I are traveling to see the grandparents, aunts, cousins and Mos (or is it Moes or is it Mo's or is it Moses?) in Henderson, Tenn., this weekend. And that brings up one of the big differences between being a couple without kids and being a couple with kids: packing for travel (they even have an app for that, God bless us packing-weary parents). Back in my pre-child days, packing hardly mattered, probably taking up 1 zillionth of a tenth of a percent of my brain capacity to do (six days equals six days of socks and underwear plus some T-shirts, some shorts, a pair or two of pants, put on some shoes, throw in some toothpaste, and I was off). That's hardly the case anymore. Take, for example, if you have a spit-up-prone baby. Do you take two burp clothes, four, eight or, maybe, 16? Better take 24. And how many diapers do you take? Or wipes? Do I need to take baby medicine? Is it going to be cold or warm or cold and warm or warm and hot then ... AACK!!! You get t...

Summer zips on by

I guess it's official. This morning, we witnessed the kiddos hopping on school buses and heading to school. That marks the end of summer, I suppose, and the end of summer seems to come a little earlier every year (even though the actual warmness of the weather keeps creeping later and later; are we going to have winter this year, anyone?). Call me silly, but I like to think of the end of summer as that day on the calendar that falls in the middle of September, after my birthday (my birthday, Sept. 16, is in summer, but it has never, ever felt that way even though I know it's always hot on my birthday). This marks my 39th summer if you count that first one I was born during in 1974, and I'm sure many of them seemed really long or really short depending on how old I was. For me, it seemed like the summers of my childhood lasted FOREVER. Now it seems like they zip by. In a flash. Especially this one. It's been a busy one, filled with lots of travels, family visits and...

Willow hones her friend-making skills

Up until now Willow has enjoyed the company of other tots her age only in the sense that where they are is where the fun and the toys are. That is to say she likes the toys and the gyms and the swings and if she has to be around these other toddlers, so be it. That's with kids her own age. She LOVES older kids, but they don't care much for her (other than "she's a baby," and Willow can't keep up with them, though she tries). Her older cousin, Rett, for example, hung the stars and moon in her opinion, so she'll just about do anything he does, including cozying up with him on the chair to watch a movie. And he does like her more than the typical older kid does. But as far as all the toddlers and babies roughly in Willow's age range, she doesn't have much use for them. She's not mean to them. She'll let them take a ball from her hand, for example (as some say, she plays well with others). But I can tell you, most definitely, she just doesn...